BRONZE MEDALLION COURSE
Royal Life Saving Society Queensland Inc RTO 5431
CPR : Friday 21st August 1-4pm
Bronze Course: Saturday 22nd 11am-6.30 pm
CPR : Friday 27th November 1-4pm
Bronze Course: Saturday 28th 11-6.30 pm
Course cost: $189 includes CPR THE DAY BEFORE
Royal Life Saving Society Queensland Inc RTO 5431 Bronze Medallion
Royal Life Saving Society Queensland Inc RTO 5431 Bronze Medallion is recognised as the minimum standard for a qualified lifesaver. This award also increases employment opportunities with many pools and aquatic centres as they require employees who conduct aquatic programs to have their Bronze Medallion.
This course will enhance your personal survival skills while providing you with the knowledge and skills to develop the level of judgement, technique and physical ability required to safely carry out water rescues.
The Bronze Medallion course offers a nationally recognised certification and has flexible delivery options to meet the needs of schools and groups.
Delivery Mode options
Delivery modes vary depending on your selected course and may include:
- Face-to-Face – Classroom-based includes theory, practical instruction and assessment
- Flexible delivery – Self-paced pre-learning and classroom-based delivery.
Please check delivery options available at the time of booking.
There is no prior learning required for full course enrolments. Update course enrolments require a current Royal Life Saving Bronze Medallion. It is recommended that candidates are 14 in the calendar year the attempt the course.
A medium level of aquatic fitness is required for some practical components of the Bronze Medallion.
Safe water practices; survival in the water; self-preservation; recognising an emergency; assessment before and during a rescue; priorities for rescue; CPR theory; acceptance of responsibility; use of bystanders; emergency care and contacting emergency services.
- Resuscitation: Demonstrate effective CPR
- Swim: Swim 400 metres continuously within 13 minutes. 100m freestyle, 100m breaststroke, 100m survival backstroke, 100m sidestroke.
- Timed Tow: Swim 50 metres, then tow a patient 50m within 3 min 15 sec.
- Survival and Rescue Skills: Demonstrate a range of survival techniques and appropriate rescues for a range of different aquatic environments and scenarios.
- Spinal Injuries: Basic management of a suspected spinal injury in shallow water.
- Rescue Initiative: Demonstrate initiative in effecting a rescue of two people who are in difficulty up to 15 metres from safety.
Successful candidates receive a:
- Royal Life Saving Society Queensland Inc RTO 5431 Bronze Medallion certificate (valid for 12 months) and/or
- Royal Life Saving Society Queensland Inc RTO 5431 Resuscitation certificate (valid for 12 months)
A Statement of Attainment for the below Units of Competency from the SIS National Sport, Fitness and Recreation Training Package may be available. It is best to check with your local Royal Life Saving office about whether the course you are interested in is offering the vocational units.
- SISCAQU002 Perform basic water rescues
- HLTAID001 Provide Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation